A low carb diet means lots of meat. But I don’t like meat…which can be a bit of a problem. Fortunately, there’s seafood, which is making more frequent appearances on my plate. This one is fun. I brought it to a party this evening as an appetizer, mainly because I would at least be able to eat this. It ended up being the only thing there I could eat…And it disappeared. And I was hoping for leftovers. This dish would also be good as a topping for a salad or along-side some stir-fried veggies. This recipe is adapted from Rebecca Crump’s Ezra Pound Cake blog. I’ve made some changes. They don’t necessarily make it better – I’m sure hers is delicious too. My version just is more friendly to my particular diet.
- frozen prawns
- 1 jalepeño pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- zest from 1 lime
- juice of 3 limes
- juice of 1 really big lemon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- Cut the pepper in half and scoop out the seeds. Pop it into your magic bullet. Or whatever else you plan to whizz this up in.
- Use a microplane or box grater or whatever to get the zest from 1 lime. Pop that in too.
- Squeeze all the juice you can from the citrus fruits. Into the bullet.
- Melt the coconut oil. Add.
- Add in everything else.
- Pour over frozen prawns.
- Leave it until the prawns are thawed out.
- Grill on the George Foreman or whatever else you want to use. Do it on the hottest heat possible. You want those char marks, but you don’t want to overcook those delicate little sea creatures. 1-2 minutes per side should be good.
- Eat up!
Something to note: That marinade is amazing and it would seem a shame to chuck it. So I think I’ll try to marinade some salmon in it tomorrow. I’m pretty certain it will be awesome.