Searching for a pool-side snack that you won’t feel guilty about later? Well look no further. This dish is actually so delicious that when I made it I ate it all in one sitting. And I didn’t feel guilty about it in the least. It’s packed with nutrients. If you eat it with low-carb veggies than it is truly a guilt-free snack that’s good enough to make if you’re entertaining guests or just getting a little peckish between meals.
The inspiration behind this dish came from my personal trainer. He is always full of great, simple ideas of food to eat that’s high in protein and nutrients. He suggested mashing 1/2 an avocado with a can of tuna to spread on Ryvita crispbreads or toast. I tried it and it was delicious and simple to make – a great standby for a pre or post-workout meal. I then thought, why not make a protein-rich guacamole with even more flavour?
- 1 tin of tuna
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 chopped cilantro
- small chili chopped (optional)
1. Cut avocado in half, take out the pit and scoop both halves into a bow. Add all other ingredients.
2. Mash all ingredients together with a fork until it’s all mixed together but you can still identify all your ingredients.
3. Plate it up with the dippers of your choice. I went with baked brown rice chips and red pepper sticks – but the peppers were so good that I ate an entire pepper’s worth of sticks and didn’t even bother with the chips.
4. If desired, serve with virgin mojitos:) muddle mint and limes in a glass. Add ice, club soda and a few drops of bitters. Drink with a straw. Refreshing for a hard days work of lounging by the pool.